An experienced Columbia attorney and skilled litigator who’s long fought for the rights of children and families, Amanda Mueller represents clients in all facets of family law. This includes divorce, custody, separation, paternity, child support, military family law, protection orders, property division, and more.
Before joining Burnette Shutt & McDaniel, Amanda launched the Columbia office of a national law firm that primarily focused on representing men in domestic litigation. She fought for clients in a wide range of cases, including issues such as the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which determines which state has the authority to make decisions in child custody cases. She’s successfully defended against a contempt action in a case involving military retirement disbursements. She has dealt with the many nuances of family law cases involving active-duty military members.
Before working in the private sector, Amanda served for four years as an attorney for the South Carolina Department of Social Services. In that role, she represented Richland and Kershaw Counties in abuse and neglect proceedings involving both children and vulnerable adults. All told, she represented the state in more than a thousand proceedings, ranging from probable cause hearings to termination of parental rights. She also trained law enforcement personnel, school districts, hospitals, and other community partners in issues relating to child and vulnerable adult protection.
She has advanced training in family law, having attended the National Family Law Trial Institute in Houston, Texas. While there she sharpened her advocacy skills and learned techniques the National Institute of Trial Advocates developed specifically to meet the unique characteristics of family law cases.
Amanda is a member of the South Carolina Bar Children’s Law and Law Related Education Sections. She’s active with the Bar’s Mock Trial program, and she also taught child protection law for the Bar’s Law School for Non-Lawyers program. She’s a former adjunct professor at South University’s Columbia Campus, teaching in the school’s Legal Studies program.
Amanda is a graduate of the University of South Carolina School of Law. Prior to attending law school, she worked as a paralegal at a Columbia law firm for more than four years.
- South Carolina
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Juris Doctor
- ABA Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Journal
- Mock Trial Bar member
- TYLA Competition
- Bylaws Committee
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Federal Courts
- Research assistant, “South Carolina Law of Torts,” Fourth Edition
- National Family Law Trial Institute graduate
- Charlotte School of Law
- Mock Trial Team Member
- University of South Carolina, Bachelor of Science, Restaurant, Hotel and Tourism Management
- Midlands Technical College, Paralegal Certificate Program
- South Carolina Bar
- 2016 South Carolina Bar Leadership Academy graduate
- Member, Children’s Law and Law Related Education sections
- Instructor, Law School for Non-Lawyers, “Overview of Child Protection Hearings”
- Richland County Bar
- Lexington County Bar
- Legal Elite of the Midlands, a publication of Columbia Business Monthly, 2020 to present, family law
- South University Columbia Campus, adjunct instructor, Bachelor of Legal Studies program, 2013