Another impressive Best Lawyers showing for Burnette Shutt & McDaniel
COLUMBIA, SC – Nine attorneys from Burnette Shutt & McDaniel, including every partner at the firm, are honored in the just-released 2024 edition of Best Lawyers in America and its companion guide, Best Lawyers: One to Watch.
Firm co-founder Nekki Shutt led the way with recognition in nine practice areas, including her Lawyer of the Year award in Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law for the Columbia area. It’s her second consecutive Lawyer of the Year award and her fifth overall.
Most of the Burnette Shutt & McDaniel honorees were recognized in multiple practice areas. Though employment law-related fields account for many of the firm’s honors, the attorneys were recognized in a diverse array of more than a dozen practice areas, including civil rights, education law, commercial litigation, family law, and qui tam whistleblower law.
“We’re quite proud of the high-caliber team we’ve built at Burnette Shutt & McDaniel,” Shutt said. “Certainly we’re well-known for our work in civil rights and employment law, but the sheer variety of practice areas in which we’re recognized is a tribute to the diversity of our skills.”
The attorneys recognized and their practice areas:
- Malissa Burnette: Civil Rights Law, Education Law, Employment Law – Individuals, Litigation – Labor and Employment, and Mediation.
- Nekki Shutt: Civil Rights Law, Commercial Litigation, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Employment Law – Individuals, Employment Law – Management, Litigation – ERISA, Litigation – Labor and Employment, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Qui Tam Law.
- Kathleen McDaniel: Administrative / Regulatory Law and Land Use and Zoning Law.
- Jack Cohoon: Employment Law – Individuals and Litigation – Labor and Employment.
- Amanda Mueller: Family Law.
- Stuart Andrews: Health Care Law and Qui Tam Law.
- Samantha Albrecht – Ones to Watch: Labor and Employment Law – Employee.
- Grant Burnette LeFever – Ones to Watch: Civil Rights Law, Education Law, Family Law, Labor and Employment Law – Employee, Labor and Employment Law – Management, and Litigation – Labor and Employment.
- Sarah Cox – Ones to Watch: Appellate Practice, Civil Rights Law, Labor and Employment Law – Employee, and Litigation – Labor and Employment.
Burnette Shutt & McDaniel attorneys have long histories of honors in Best Lawyers: Andrews was first included in 2003 and Burnette has been honored yearly since 2005. From the time of the firm’s founding to the 2023 edition, the most-recent released, Burnette Shutt & McDaniel has been consistently cited in Best Law Firms in America as well.
About Best Lawyers
Published for more than 40 years, Best Lawyers in America is an annual guide to the nation’s leading attorneys. The selection process for both Best Lawyers and Ones to Watch, which is limited to attorneys with less than 10 years’ practice, involves evaluations from other attorneys in the same practice areas and cities, along with independent research. The attorney with the highest overall peer feedback is designated as the Lawyer of the Year.