An seasoned litigator, Janet Rhodes represents clients in a range of discrimination and other employment law cases in South Carolina and federal courts.
She’s handled matters involving the Family Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act. She’s fought for clients in cases involving age discrimination, equal pay, wrongful termination, and wage disputes. Janet also has represented clients in cases involving military employment USERRA rights and in contract disputes, including those involving non-compete agreements.
A native of Ninety Six in Greenwood County, South Carolina, Janet chairs the Equal Employment Opportunity Committee of the South Carolina Bar Employment and Labor Law Section. She’s also a member of the Planning Committee for Sherwood Forest of SC, a local charity.
She earned her bachelor’s degree in government at Wofford College, where she was a true Renaissance woman. She excelled in academics, athletics, and the arts.
She graduated magna cum laude, studying abroad in London. She also was an NCAA Division I competitor in javelin, setting school records as she earned MVP and all-conference honors. Additionally, she performed with three vocal groups, the Wofford Singers, the Wofford Show Choir, and the Gold Tones, an eight-woman acapella ensemble.
After her time at Wofford, Janet studied at the Charleston School of Law. After completing her Juris Doctor there, she clerked for the Hon. J. Ernest Kinard, Fifth Circuit Court. She also was a summer intern with the Hon. Henry F. Floyd, who at that time, was a U.S. District Court judge. He now serves on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth District.
The arts remain an important part of Janet’s life. She currently performs with the Sandlapper Singers, South Carolina’s premiere choral ensemble.
- US. District Court for the District of South Carolina, 2008
- South Carolina, 2008
- Charleston School of Law, juris doctor, 2008
- Wofford College, B.A. in government, magna cum laude, 2005
- Dean’s List
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- Track and field team
- Show choir
- South Carolina Bar
- Employment and Labor Law Section
- Chair, EEO Committee
- Employment and Labor Law Section
- SC Women Lawyers Association
- Trustus Theatre, Board of Directors
- Sherwood Forest of SC Planning Committee
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Labor and Employment Law, 2018-present; Employment Law – Individuals, 2020
- South Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014-18
- “Legal Elite of the Midlands” 2015, 2017 by Columbia Metropolitan Magazine in field of labor and employment law
- Moderator, “Creating a Safe and Inclusive Workplace” panel, Women’s Rights and Empowerment Network Summit, April 9, 2018
- Presenter, “Real Employment Matters and the Lessons We Can Learn from Them,” Columbia Society for Human Resource Management annual legal workshop, April 2017
- Presenter, “How to Spot a Liar: The Use of Polygraphs in Employment Law Matters,” SC Bar Employment Law Division Annual Conference, January 2017
- Presenter, “Beyond the Basics, ADA-FMLA” the National Business Institute’s Human Resource Law from A to Z seminar, November 2016
- Presenter, “Pay Overtime Now or Pay Double Later, Law Firms on the Hook for Failing to Comply with FLSA” the South Carolina Association for Justice’s December 2015 Auto Torts: Advanced Trial Lawyer College
- Presenter, “Top 10 Do’s and Don’t’s of How Not To Get Sued,” and “Ask A Lawyer” panel member, Columbia Society for Human Resource Management annual legal workshop, April 2015.
- Presenter, program on non-compete agreements, “Recent Developments in Employment & Labor Law,” the South Carolina Bar’s annual spring employment law CLE seminar, April 2015.