Best Lawyers lists 7 from Burnette Shutt & McDaniel, including a Lawyer of the Year
COLUMBIA, SC – The 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America highlights four attorneys from Burnette Shutt & McDaniel, including a Lawyer of the Year for the Columbia area. An additional three attorneys at the firm are honored in a companion publication, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch.
Lawyer of the Year honors for the Columbia area go to Nekki Shutt for her work in Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law. It’s the fourth time Shutt has earned Lawyer of the Year honors, with three of the awards coming in ERISA-related practice areas.
All told, Shutt was honored in nine practice areas in the latest edition of the annual guide to the nation’s top attorneys.
This year’s Burnette Shutt & McDaniel honorees and their practice areas:
- Malissa Burnette: Litigation – Labor and Employment, Civil Rights Law, Employment Law – Individuals, and Mediation
- Nekki Shutt: Lawyer of the Year, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Litigation – ERISA, Employment Law – Individuals, Employment Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment, Civil Rights Law, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Qui Tam Law, and Commercial Litigation,
- Jack E. Cohoon: Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Stuart Andrews: Health Care Law
- Katherine Myers: Criminal Defense: General Practice, Ones to Watch
- Grant Burnette LeFever: Civil Rights Law, Labor and Employment Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment Law, Education Law and Family Law, Ones to Watch
- Sarah J.M. Cox: Labor and Employment Law – Employee, Litigation – Labor and Employment, and Appellate Practice, Ones to Watch
About Best Lawyers
Published annually since 1983, Best Lawyers in America is one of the oldest guides to the legal profession. Through a selection process that includes peer review and independent research, the directory aims to capture the consensus opinion of attorneys in the same geographic region and practice areas. Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch uses the same selection process to identify leading attorneys with less than 10 years’ practice.
Burnette Shutt & McDaniel attorneys have long histories of inclusion in Best Lawyers. Andrews has been in every edition for the past 20 years, while Burnette has been honored yearly since 2005. Shutt was first recognized in 2010.
A companion piece, Best Law Firms, is released in the fall. To qualify, a firm must have at least one attorney recognized in Best Lawyers. Burnette Shutt & McDaniel has been honored in Best Law Firms every year since the firm’s founding.