From helping a professor denied the tenure she’s worked hard to earn to fighting to ensure that a special needs child receives the education to which he’s entitled, the education law attorneys at Burnette Shutt & McDaniel fight to protect the rights of teachers, instructors, staff, and students in public and private schools as well as at colleges and universities.
Our skilled education law attorneys have the experience and know-how to stand up for you, whether you’re a student facing a suspension hearing or a teacher threatened with a recommendation for termination. No matter which category you fall into, it’s important that you don’t try to go it alone.
Education law is complicated, and school administrators deal with these issues daily. If you’re a parent or student, you’ll find that they’re often speaking a highly technical language that you don’t even understand.
You need someone on your side who is fluent in that language, an attorney who can point out all the nuances and possible ramifications of any agreement you might reach. It’s easy at times for those not familiar with the law to overlook the downside of a compromise that appears to resolve issues quickly. For students, it could be a suspension that remains on the record throughout an academic career. For teachers, it could be a resignation that can have the same impact on a license as a termination.
Education law attorneys, ready to fight for you
At Burnette Shutt & McDaniel, our education lawyers help students, teachers, faculty, and staff with a wide variety of issues:
- Academic tenure and promotion issues
- Title IX issues, including discrimination
- Special education, including IEPs, IDEA hearings and eligibility disputes, IEP and IDEA evaluation requests and Section 504 plans
- Teacher employment issues, including suspensions and recommendations for termination
- Student disciplinary hearings and appeals, including suspensions, expulsions, and academic probation
- Honor code violations
- Student rights, including First Amendment issues, student searches, and student confidentiality
- Student bullying and harassment
- South Carolina Department of Education disciplinary investigations and proceedings
Whether you’re a student who needs help protecting your rights or a teacher whose career and reputation is on the line, the education law attorneys at Burnette Shutt & McDaniel are ready to fight for you for as long as it takes.